Lori Ballen, the owner of this website, benefits from purchases made through her affiliate links.
When warmer weather approaches, the bugs often come out and want in. They are automatically drawn to window screens when you have the windows open, wanting to be close to the light you probably have on inside your home. Here are a few ideas to help you keep bugs off your screen doors and windows.
Use an Insect Repellent
An easy way to keep bugs away from the window screens, especially during bug season, is simply by spraying them with an insect repellent.
There is a variety of natural and store-bought insect sprays that you can use on the outside of the windows. These contain smells that the bugs just don’t care for, so they won’t go anywhere near the window screen.
You will often need to spray the screens on a daily basis during heavy bug season, such as during the spring and summer months, or when it gets especially humid. Spraying at night might be better if you have more difficulty with bugs attracted to your indoor lights.
Rub Citronella Oil On the Screens
If the bug spray you are using isn’t working great, you can try a natural option like citronella oil. Many bugs hate the smell of it and will leave your screens alone. You can put some of the oil on a paper towel, then apply it to the window. You can also try adding some drops to a spray bottle, then spraying the window screens.
Just be careful not to get it on your hands, as it is difficult to wash off. There are also some citronella candles that perform the same function, which you can place on outdoor furniture close to where your windows are located.
Deter Bugs From Coming Around
You can also keep bugs from your home entirely by deterring them. One great way to do this is by not keeping any open trash or food near your home's structure.
This means not leaving pet food outside when it is time to call it a night, and keeping lids on all outside garbage cans and recycling bins.
It is also good to keep no cardboard or wood close to the home, as this attracts pests like spiders and carpenter ants.
Some insects are drawn to your house due to the nearby trees and bushes, so try to keep those from your house as well.
In addition to these helpful tips, keep your window screens clean to keep bugs from being more attracted to them. If all else fails, call a pest control company for assistance.
- 5 Ways To Lower Your Power Bill In Las VegasLowering your power bill isn't as difficult as it seems. Click here to discover five easy ways to reduce your energy usage at home!
- How to Improve Indoor Air QualityIndoor air quality is essential to consider with families spending more time indoors. It helps to understand how the air moves through your home and the potentially harmful contaminants it may contain to get cleaner air.
- Best GreenhousesReady to add a greenhouse to your home or business? Enjoy this list of the best selling greenhouses.
- What to Know Before Getting a CatIt's essential to educate yourself about cats to ensure that you can make an informed choice and that your new pet has a safe and comfortable home.
- Best Home Decor on Amazon in 2020This is a list of the best home decor on Amazon. It's a great time to spice up the kitchen, warm up the living room, or pick up a gift for the holidays or special event.